By Anyssa Garza, PharmD, BCMAS – Digital Pharmacist Staff
If you are looking to use Facebook ads in your marketing strategy, you need to know a few rules. Facebook has strict ad policies — especially in the pharmacy space.
To ensure that your ads are not flagged or turned off and keep your account from becoming disabled, keep the following in mind.
Creating and running ads for the following violates Facebook’s ad policy and will result in, at a minimum, your ad becoming flagged:
- CBD or hemp oil**
- Erectile dysfunction/sexual enhancement drugs
- Specific medication names (This includes brands and generic names.)
- Specific medical conditions (diabetes, cancer, etc.)
- Pictures of needles
- Text-heavy photos, which prevent Facebook from reading the text for proper review (People can try to get around the policy, which led Facebook to ban these photos.)
**Pharmacies that promote CBD/hemp oil on their Facebook business pages and/or websites will likely not have their Facebook ads approved.
Note that these recommendations are for ads ONLY and not for Facebook posts that you post yourself on your pharmacy business page.
Facebook ads are different from the posts on the pharmacy business page. Facebook ads are seen in your target audience’s feed. They do not post to your Facebook wall.
Creating Great Facebook Ads
Now that you know what not to do, here is what you can do to ensure that your ads are optimized and receive the greatest engagement:
- Create brand awareness and highlight the services you offer (delivery, for example).
- Include a personalized photo (no stock photos).
- Have a clear call to action, such as “Transfer your prescriptions today.”
- Depending on the size of your city, pick an optimal mile radius. For example, in New York City, your mile radius could be around one mile, while in a small town in Texas, the mile radius may be 10 miles.
- Have an easy and reputable way to track and analyze your results so you can adjust your social media strategy accordingly.
Check out some examples below:
Not sure where to start? We have you covered. Our Digital Marketing team’s main focus is to optimize Facebook ads while keeping Facebook’s ad policy in mind.
For help launching your digital marketing strategy, give us a call at 877-959-7550 or email us at [email protected].