Search engine optimization (SEO) is a tool that allows website visibility to grow in organic (non-paid) search engine results. SEO incorporates many elements necessary to improve rankings, drive traffic to your website and increase website awareness in search engines. These elements include finding keywords that generate traffic to your website, making your site friendly to search engines, building links and marketing your site’s unique value.
SEO may seem confusing. However, this guide will help you better understand SEO.
Before diving into how to utilize SEO, let’s introduce how search engines operate. The major commercial search engines, Google, Bing and Yahoo!, drive 98% of web traffic. These search engines have two main functions:
- Crawling and indexing
- Providing a ranked list of answers
Search engines use automated robots called crawlers to crawl through the many interconnected documents available on the web. The search engines will then store, or index, select sites in huge databases until they need to be recalled for a search query. After crawling and indexing are complete, the search engine is able to return useful results to a searcher’s query in a list ranked according to the websites’ popularity.
In order to improve your SEO and start seeing better results, follow the 5 SEO best practices listed below:
- Include meta tags. Meta tags are keywords that attach to each website page to ensure the website ranks higher in the search engines.
- Publish relevant content. Quality content is the top driver of search engine rankings. In order to create quality content, get to know your readers and what they are interested in.
- Update your content regularly. In addition to quality content, content that is updated regularly is one of the best indicators of a website’s relevancy. The more content you can produce and publish, the more search queries your content can rank for.
- Utilize internal and external links. Internal links drive traffic back to other pages of your website, and external links drive traffic to other relevant sites. Create relevant links within the text to improve your search engine rankings. For example, instead of using a “click here” link, use a keyword to externally or internally link to other relevant pages.
- Use multimedia in your content. Various types of multimedia, including images and video clips, may enhance user experience and result in higher search engine rankings.
For more information on optimizing your pharmacy website, give us a call at 877-959-7550 or email [email protected]
Stay tuned for next week’s post listing the four common SEO mistakes to avoid.