According to the Statista Research Department, Americans spend an average of 7 hours and 50 minutes a day on digital media. As of January 2022, 85% of American adults use a smartphone, 74% have a laptop or desktop, and 52% own a tablet. For this reason, there’s no doubt that digital is here to stay, which is why online advertising for your pharmacy is crucial.
% of Americans That Use Smartphones
% of Americans That Own a Computer
% of Americans That Own a Tablet
Where to Start with Advertising Your Pharmacy?
The key to successful business promotion is finding your customers where they are. Pharmacies that previously focused on more traditional channels now find that digital marketing offers unprecedented targeting opportunities and increased reach. Digital marketing means any advertising or marketing conducted through digital channels, from websites and mobile apps to search engines and social media networks.
By shifting your focus, you can meet your patient base on the devices and platforms they use every day, establish an online presence, and market yourself on multiple channels.
How Can Pharmacies Attract Customers?
Customers today are looking for a seamless digital experience, but also want to connect personally with brands and businesses online.
Here are a few ways you can draw in digital customers:
- Maintain a human connection by being responsive online and sharing photos of your staff and store
- Share new content consistently to engage customers
- Highlight your unique value and promote special offerings
- Make it easy for them to find and connect with you online
Request a free demo to learn more about how the Digital Pharmacist product suite can help you build your patient base.
What Makes a Pharmacy Unique?
A strong pharmacy brand is the foundation of a successful pharmacy. Branding helps you create a memorable identity for your pharmacy business, including a mission and vision statement and brand story. Pharmacies that stand out also have a unique selling point or value proposition. For example, this could be cost, convenience, location, or specialty products and services.
Finally, unique pharmacies offer innovative solutions to customer problems or offering contact-free and remote services.
While a strong brand and problem-solving solutions can help you stand out from the crowd, you still need a solid plan for advertising your pharmacy.
9 Ideas for Advertising Your Pharmacy
Build your patient base with these pharmacy advertising ideas:
1. Promote Your Pharmacy Through Google My Business
The profile is added to Google Maps and search results pages so that anyone looking for local pharmacies can find you. Next, encourage patients to review your pharmacy on Google so their referrals show up on your profile, too. Another way to draw interest is by publishing updates, offers, and events directly with Local Posts, but you need to update your content regularly as posts expire every seven days.
2. Keep Your Directory Listings Updated
Add your pharmacy to as many of these as possible. For an annual fee, sites like Moz Local and Yext can help you manage and update your listings in all major directories from a single platform. The more directories you show up on, especially high-traffic ones, the more it will improve your local SEO.
- Business name and logo
- Location and contact information
- Hours of operation
- Products and services
- Storefront photo
3. Use Social Media to Advertise Your Pharmacy
- Creating accounts on all major platforms to claim your business name and direct people to your website
- Becoming active on one or two platforms where your patients are most likely to spend time
- Focusing on quality and consistency with regular posts, useful health content, images, and videos
- Minimizing promotional content, but still letting patients know when you have upcoming sales or events
4. Target Your Ideal Customers on Facebook
Each ad campaign can be created for and shared with a pre-selected audience. On Facebook’s Ads Manager platform you can select from a range of parameters including age, gender, location, relationship, and age of children. For example, Facebook’s ad network also extends to Instagram, Facebook Messenger, and Audience Network, allowing you to expand your reach.
Creating effective ads for your pharmacy does take practice, but Facebook’s paid campaigns are an effective way of reaching a much larger audience online.
5. Host Virtual Events
- Educating patients about common health conditions and treatments
- Promoting new and seasonal offerings to patients and healthcare professionals
- Connecting you with local businesses through community events and collaborations
6. Cross-promote With Local Businesses
Fellow healthcare businesses and practitioners can provide opportunities for trade agreements and mutual referral programs. You can also work with local small businesses, sharing product samples and service announcements. In return, you can offer to stock their products.
7. Reach Customers via Direct Mail
Target your local community with colorful self-mailers like postcards, leaflets, or letters that introduce your pharmacy and services. Be sure to include a limited-time offer or coupon with each one to get people to come to you.
8. Provide Free Health Screenings
A few types of free screenings you could offer:
- Wellness exams
- Full cholesterol panels
- Blood pressure and glucose screenings
To help spread the word, consider launching a Facebook ad campaign or adding a Local Post event to your Google My Business profile.
9. Send Your Patients Email Newsletters
Email marketing allows you to stay connected with and build on your current patient base. By sending regular email newsletters, you can keep your audience informed about what’s going on at your pharmacy, promote special offers, and share relevant health content.